Deception Flogger

This blog is self-explanatory. Because of my background on the University of Minnesota and Saint Cloud State campuses, I seen even more clearly the need for the light of truth to shine in the darkness.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Spirit-led Lawyers

Over the last 10 years of my life, my opinion of lawyers has changed quite a bit.  In 1997, a guy named Matt recruited me and four other friends to join a lawsuit that challenged the campus fees system at the U of MN.  Our lawyer was Jordan Lorence.  These legal virtuosos rarely get the positive credit they deserve from the media.  This is probably because too many of them are busy chasing ambulances and exploiting 'victims' to get a big check.  But I digress.  Jordan is a different breed.  He is a man that stands for principle and for righteousness in our nation's courts. 
 
As soon as I met him, I knew he was down-to-earth and very personable.  Not only that, but he was very passionate about the cause.  He, like myself and the other plaintiffs, did not like to see the university forcing students to fund groups and ideas that violated their conscience.  I remember fondly the dinners we would spend together as a group with our Spirit-led lawyer.  He would crack jokes (without botching them), mainly about himself, and tell us great stories of his experiences on campus in the 80s.  I loved how we opened our meetings with prayer and prayed throughout when we got to a tough spot and needed God's wisdom. 
 
If you asked Jordan, he would tell you that he is no great legal mind but that he just serves a great God who is the source of all justice, righteousness and truth.  Sure, he has argued before the Supreme Court and handled other big-name cases.  But, you'll only find his name tied to something worth fighting for even though there is not much of a financial reward at the end.
 
Through Jordan, I had the opportunity to meet another Spirit-led lawyer named Charles Schreffler.  He is the guy I talked about in Tuesday's post about separation of church and state issues on campus.  Yesterday he shared with me and a group of campus ministers about his struggles and victories over the years.  He displayed to us very clearly his love for God and his family and his dependence upon the King of kings for legal matters.  It's encouraging to hear about a lawyer who prays for wisdom and trusts in God to reveal His light in our judicial system. 
 
There are many today who would tell you that they would never trust a lawyer.  I guess I would have to disagree.  I can certainly trust a lawyer who trusts in the One who gave us law in the first place.
 
Thank you Charles and Jordan and the many others who are out there fighting the good fight in the legal arena.  hey, when Jesus said go into all the world, these guys took it to include the courts as well.  Bravo!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lau Wen Loong said...

Hey there. Thanks for the post, even if it is old, and this comment comes almost 6 years on. It encourages myself, as I am a law student in my second year and I don't completely know what I am doing, and it has helped me in some way. =)

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home